Monday, June 28, 2010

Sunday Drives

As I was driving though Dubuque going to Wisconsin Dells this past weekend, I saw this bridge that goes over the Mississippi River. It reminded me of a time when I was younger. I think I may have been in 3rd or 4th grade. This would be pre-Amy and pre-Katie. I don't have a lot of fond memories of my Father, but I remember this one. We didn't vacation really, but once in a great while, Dad would go on what he called "Sunday Drive". This would confuse Lisa and I because most of the time it was on Saturday.

Shortly after our first Cordoba we drove to the Amanna Colonies. I really don't remember a whole lot because we were young, I just remember the little stores. Shortly after Dad bought his second Cordoba we went on our "Sunday Drives", this trip took forever it seemed like. I remember Lisa and I constantly bugging our parents "Where are we going?" and my Mom would say, she didn't know ask Dad. Dad would just say, it's a surprise. "Are we there yet?" This was repeated maybe every 30 minutes. Finally, when we arrived in Dubuque, my Father told us we are going to see the Mississippi River. Lisa and I looked at each other with a big smile. We knew this was a big river and thought it would be neat to see. For hours my parents would try side streets so we could go up to the actual river and gather some rocks as a memento. We never did find the side street, however the picture of that bridge was forever etched in my mind. Opening a flood gate of memories of that drive when I saw it again, so many years later.


I hope I am creating memories that my boys will reflect back on and smile and know how much love I have for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.