Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Anniversary Weekend



My life with my husband is complete, however we are on opposite work schedules and he has a rotating workweek, therefore we don't spend a lot of "awake" time with one another. We have a blended family and have been married now for only 2 years, in our relationship for 5 ½ years it seems like it has been so much longer. This is not in a bad way, we just met later in life and most of our children are older, therefore putting us in the later stages of relationships. We have six children combined and ½ of them are adults at this time. Our children are important to us regardless of their age. Obviously, this is not either of our first marriage and we have learned from our previous marriage making time for your spouse is important to keep a healthy marriage, we try to get away for just the two of us every now and then. One of our favorite cities is Chicago. We enjoy going to watch a Cub’s game. We try to go to at least one thing new when we are there because Chicago has so many things to do. Our favorite spot in the city is the Navy Pier, to stroll down the pier, watching the different people interacting with one another, the specialty shops, the ships, the beautiful scenery and skyline, and to reminisce about our perfect romantic weekend. Evenings are absolutely gorgeous with the lights from the attractions to the skyline lights and it always cools off there. We have learned on Saturday and Wednesday during the summer months there is a firework display as well over Lake Michigan.



We celebrated our second anniversary weekend in Chicago. We started with The Field Museum. After 5 hours and seeing everything, we wanted to see, we went to the hotel to check in. We stayed at the Wyndham Hotel, downtown Chicago. The first time we actually stayed downtown. We could see Lake Michigan a little from our window if we stood on our tiptoes, if we were on just one floor higher we would have been able to see Lake Michigan from our window. Later that evening we took off walking downtown, wanting to find somewhere nice to eat. After walking for a little while and turning corners, we could see Lake Michigan. We had forgotten that our hotel was only a mile away from Navy Pier. We ended up walking to the pier. We found Bubba Gump’s Shrimp but the line was excessively long, we kept walking.



We came to the docking port to The Spirit of Chicago; he took my hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. This is a special boat to us, two years ago just a couple of months before our wedding, Todd had planned a special weekend for us in Chicago. We had tickets to the Cub’s game on Sunday and he wanted to make it an entire weekend because of how stressed I was with Matthew, my oldest, graduating and planning the wedding. That weekend was the most romantic weekend we have ever had. He booked a dinner cruise on The Spirit of Chicago. The cruise was 3 hours and had entertainment on board after a wonderful dinner. When I came back from the restroom, Todd was just smiling at me. He had such a beautiful smile. One of the entertainers stated that if you have a song that you would like to dance to please let him know. I noticed the two female entertainers were looking over towards our table then I heard the beginning of Todd’s and my song, “Wonderful Tonight” by Eric Clapton. I looked up excited to hear our song and mentioned to him, now this is a perfect night because they are playing our song. He smiled and said that they were playing it for a reason; he had requested it and asked me if I would like to dance with him. This was the first time we have ever danced, he told me on our first date that he does not dance, so I never expected to have a first dance with him. I felt like I was floating on the dance floor. It was as if we were alone on this boat, the feelings were so intense, I could feel the love he had for me by asking them to play this song for us and by him asking me to dance, he also showed it in his face as he looked at me while were dancing. After dancing for a while, we went to the top to enjoy Chicago City’s Skyline. It was such a beautiful day, windy but beautiful. I think I was walking on cloud nine for several weeks after that weekend.



All right, back to this past weekend, after he squeezed my hand, we smiled at one another knowing how special that ship is to us. We continued walking and Todd found this place called Riva. It is a seafood restaurant with the main restaurant on the second floor. We went inside and were seated close enough to the windows to have a gorgeous view of the pier. Our dinners were so beautifully plated, I wanted to take a picture of it. I felt like I was being served a meal from the show Top Chef with how fancy and pretty they were. We typically do not order dessert but we chose to share one because it was a special occasion. Our meals and dessert was delicious, he found the perfect restaurant for us. We did wait a long time for the waiter to bring our bill. Todd joked a little because of how long we were waiting how we should make a run for it to “dine and dash”; he mentioned how he thinks we could get away with it if it were not for the stairs, which is where we would get caught. This made both of us crack up laughing. I am very slow going down stairs due to my knee. I can only take one stair at a time because I cannot bend my knee going down yet. After finally paying our bill, we walked some on the pier and then headed back to our hotel. It was a great anniversary. I feel so blessed to be married to a man who truly cares about my children and me. He is my best friend, my soul mate and someone who respects me and makes me laugh. I love you Todd.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals