Monday, July 26, 2010

Reflections of 2 years ago.

Today is a special day. My night in white shining armor made me his wife on this day 2 years ago. It seems so much longer then 2 years, and that is not in a bad way, maybe because other then how he introduces me and my last name changing things have not changed with us. We have lived with one another now for starting 6 years.

July 26, 2008

What a perfect day it was! My good friend from Des Moines became ordained only because a friend of mine, who begged me to let him marry us for over a year bailed on us only 6 weeks prior to the wedding. I am so thankful that she was willing to do this huge favor for me.

I had made the girls and my arm bouquets months before. I was very happy with the way they turned out. However, the day before the Wedding I no longer could find the arm bouquets, to this day, I still have no idea what happened to them. I ended up picking up some small yellow carnations while I was picking up the roses for our ceremony. I put parts of several ceremonies together to make the perfect one for us. We wanted to include our children, so I added a red rose ceremony not only for the bride and groom but for the children as well. Todd's sister said that the rose ceremony brought tears to her eyes.

Todd and I both had agreed on a very small wedding and we wanted the children to stand up with me. Pictures of our wedding has been uploaded on Friday Flashback 6. We both thought it would be nice to have the service and the reception in our backyard. Oh how I worried about the weather. Iowa City was flooding that Summer, so much rain. The way I decorated the area that we had our service came to me while I was dreaming. Only thing we forgot was to light the tikki torches.

I baked my cakes and practiced several times before the big day. I had brought cakes to work several times that Summer for my co-workers. The only request I had was that they had to give opinions on the cake and frosting. I ended up with a chocolate and a white sheet cakes and my tier cake was a raspberry cake. My Mother came to stay with us a couple of days prior and she helped me with some decorations on the cakes. Other then the heat of that day melting some of the frosting, I was very happy with the way the cakes turned out. My Mother was also the person who walked me down the aisle and gave me away. Right before we started that journey, she began to cry and told me how happy she was that I found Todd and wanted me to always be happy. She felt Todd was a good man and great to my boys.

Todd and I decided to make as much of the food as we could for the reception. We placed the food on the patio under the porch. We had BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, pasta salad, potato salad, chips and dip, and cucumbers and onions from our garden. I know it may not have been a fancy meal like most people have at their weddings, but this was exactly what we wanted for those who came. We wanted a more of a family gathering event. Todd's Mother and Jim showed and so did his sister and her family. His friend Susan from work showed up but two of his good friends did not make it. I had 3 co-workers and 2 close friends from Des Moines and my Mother. None of my sister's made it for one reason or another.

Our colors were white and light yellow. I let the girls chose the colors. I felt that this wasn't my first wedding and it wasn't as important to me what colors we were going to have. I also felt since the girls were going to be the ones to wear the dress then let them choose. I think they liked the fact that they had say. When we announced the wedding date to the children, the girls and I went to the computer and they chose the dress and color. They did an outstanding job with their dress choice. We wanted them to pick something that they could wear to another Summer event if they had too. I found shirts to match the same yellow the girls had for the boys and since the girls' dress had some white eyelet lace on it, I thought white ties for the boys.

Moments before I had to leave to get my hair done and pick up the flowers, Todd's ex wife showed up at our house. She wanted to see if this marriage is what Todd really wanted and to let him know it's still not too late. Emily came down and then showed her the cakes my Mother and I had made and how we decorated the yard. She was so proud of them. She was truly happy that day. She told me how she thought things were so pretty and the music we walked down the aisle she thought was perfect as well. Todd and I felt the same way. I searched the Internet for an instrumental piece to Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight", Todd's and my song. We had it burnt to CD and played it at the wedding. One thing we didn't think of, that was after we all went down the aisle, who was going to turn the player off? We stood there looking at the guest for a little bit, because we were facing them, then thought Ethan could go run and turn it off and he did.

Our Wedding may not have been what most people consider as a perfect wedding but it was perfect for us. We laughed and expressed our love for one another as well as joining our families together. I placed his ring on the wrong hand and we laughed at that. He dropped cake down my cleavage and acted as if he was going to take care of it by eating it. Everyone laughed at that. The weather wasn't too hot, we had tents over the tables during the reception.

It was a perfect day. A day I married the man that I love, my soul mate, my best friend.

Here is our ceremony:

The union into which you are about to enter is the closest and tenderest into which human beings can come. It is a union founded upon mutual respect and affection. Your paths will be parallel, your responsibilities will increase, but your joy will be multiplied if you are sincere and earnest with one another.

Todd, will you have this woman to be your wedded wife, to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, and forsaking all others, keep you only unto her, for so long as you both shall live?

Jolene, will you have this man to be your wedded husband, to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, and forsaking all others, keep you only unto him, so long as you both shall live?

Take hands and repeat after me: I, Todd, take you, Jolene, to be my wedded wife, to have and to hold, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, to love and to cherish, from this day forward.

I, Jolene, take you, Todd, to be my wedded husband, to have and to hold, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, to love and to cherish, from this day forward.

Do you have a ring for the bride? Please place the ring on the bride's finger and say: With this ring, I thee wed.

Is there a ring for the groom? Please place the ring on the groom's finger and say: With this ring, I thee wed.
Let these rings be given and received as a token of your affection, sincerity and fidelity to one another.

A single red rose always meant "I love you".

Your gift to each other for your wedding today has been your wedding rings - which shall always be an outward demonstration of your vows of love and respect; and a public showing of your commitment to each other.

But for your first gift as husband and wife I want you now to give each other the gift of a a single rose. So please exchange your first gift as husband and wife; a gift of true and abiding love within the devotion of marriage.

Remember, the single rose says the words: "I love you".

There may be times filled with happiness, sorrow, tears or laughter,whatever it may be, remember love has given you wings; your journey begins today; Todd and Jolene, if there is anything you remember of this marriage ceremony, remember the love that brought you here today, it is only love which can make your marriage a glorious union, and it is by love that your marriage will endure.



After exchanging roses, the couple will then give each child a rose, a hug, and whisper, "I love you." "Not only are Todd and Jolene creating a marriage today, but they also are forming a family with Kera, Matthew, Emily, Joshua, Ethan, and Noah. Just as it is appropriate for Todd and Jolene to declare their love for each other in the gift of a rose, they also wish to show you (to the children) how much they love you with the gift of a rose."


Forasmuch as Todd and Jolene have consented together in wedlock and have witnessed the same before this company, and have given and pledged their vows to each other, and have declared the same by joining hands, by the authority vested in me by the State of Iowa, I now pronounce you husband and wife.
(You may kiss the bride. You may kiss the groom.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals