Monday, July 5, 2010

Sharing Bedrooms

I don't know why this memory came to me but it hit me last night while I was trying to sleep and I couldn't get it out of my mind.

Lisa and I shared bedrooms up until I was 9 years old. We shared a white with decorative gold double canopy bed. I recall on Sunday nights, after we were to be in bed, we would stand on the bed as if it were our stage. We would then reenact what we could remember from the "Tony Orlando and Dawn Show". We both had our favorite Dawn that we would act out.

We often pretended our bed was a boat when we were younger as well, with the canopy being the sail.

Jumping on our bed was do-able as long as we were short and didn't jump high. Oh my, we would get into so much trouble when we knocked the bars off of the canopy. We quickly learned how to fix that, so we didn't have to ask Mom or Dad.

We were only allowed to sleep with our parent when we had a bad dream (what we called nightmares). Due to this rule, sometimes Lisa and I would share what our dreams were about. We started to notice a pattern regarding one of our re-occurring dreams. Looking back now, it wasn't scary at all but when you are in early grade school, it terrified us. Yes, I said us. Lisa and I would have the same re-occurring dream on the same night. The first time I started to describe the dream, she interrupted me and finished telling me about my dream.

Our dream was that we (Mom, Dad, Lisa, and I) went to visit this friend. This friend's house was on a huge hill. Lisa and I were told to stay in the car while my parents visited. While we waited, we climbed upfront and took the car for a drive. We were having a good time. We were at our current age in this dream, not a driving age. We both took turns driving and after awhile we thought that we were gone long enough and didn't want to get in trouble, so we drove back BUT the house was gone. We went around the block hoping this would make the house reappear but it didn't, we did this several times...no house, no parents. We thought that we better go looking for the house and our Mom and Dad. We started to drive downtown, there was this bridge we had to drive over. Now this bridge does not exist in Des Moines. It was a very steep and high bridge. One that resembles the bridges that go over the Mississippi river but steeper. Once we were on the top, the bridge would open up and the car fell to the ground. We always woke up before the car hit the ground.

Once we realized we were having the same dream on the same nights, we would just lay in our bed with one another. Our arms around each other, comforting one another. Strangely, when we moved to the southside and we finally had our own bedrooms, we never had that dream again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.