Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Tackle It Tuesday

After posting last week's Tackle It Tuesday, I realized that I was not quite ready to say the laundry room was enough. I still plan on moving the box of pictures but this again will have to wait until other closets have been organized and the scanning of photos of Joshua is done. I am working on his slide show for graduation party this year.

Before Shot

What I thought was going to be the after until I move the staples box.
After Shot

A little more organization this week, left my laundry room looking like this.
Typically, I do have my husband's uniforms hanging as the picture above. They are in the washer. This room/closet is used often at many different hours of the day. We have a total of 8 people living in our house from time to time (depending on the one that lives in the dorm). I thought the vaporizers should be on the same shelf. I did not like all the first aid items free, so I picked up some containers to organize them as well. We also keep the carpet cleaning solutions here as well.

Next came the BIG ONE for tackling. Again with 8 people and I am not the only one cooking through out the day, the kitchen is my biggest pet peeve room. We picked up new pots and pans and I needed to re-arrange the pots and pans cupboards to make room. I also wanted to access the cupboards a little more in what makes sense to me. I have difficulties bending down and getting into the cupboards below and I am too short for the top shelves where I am on the tip of my toes trying to get things out of the cupboards. This is painful to me many times. I have plantar facitis and the stretching when I am on my toes creates such great pain in my foot and bending down to find things below is hard on my knee. I have a meniscus disk degenerating. I rely on my children to get things low and my taller ones for the high things. I hate the fact that I need their help. I kept thinking there has to be a better way. I found a way to get to things easier by tackling the organization in some cupboards that need it.

We will start with the pots and pans cupboard. There was not any organization at all here. I would have them organized but when the boys or Todd unload the dishwasher they just toss it in the cupboard making it difficult for me to find things at time. Our lower cupboards, the top shelf pulls out. I placed all of my new pots and pans on one of these shelves and then organized the rest. I then showed the boys, including Todd what I did and explained why. They all thought that this was a great idea so I can help myself. They all know how frustrating it has been on me to lose some of the independence you can say or things I enjoy to do. They also know that this has led to some blue days for me. They all have been doing great to make sure the pots and pans are put in the proper place for me.
I worked hard on organizing some of my cupboards this week.

Before Shot

We used to throw decorations, light bulbs, containers for the ice cream maker, and party stuff in it. Basically it was a large junk drawer.


After Shot

My baking dishes used to be in a few different cupboards, but now they are all in one. (Minus the cookie sheets and pizza pans. You can see them in the bottom of my pots and pans cupboard.) We also put our new glasses in this cupboard because we do not want to use them every day, just special occasions. We are also storing the sundae dishes here as well as the light bulbs still at least for now the light bulbs will still be stored here.

Before Shot
This is the cupboard directly next to the one posted above. It stores spices (I also have a spice rack on the counter.) as well as kool aid mixes and some baking goods for deserts. My decorating goodies were stored in another cupboard above the pots and pans. It did not make sense to me to keep them over there so I moved them. I bought some spice shelves to add here.

After Shot
I love how it turned out. Moving the decorating sprinkles, sugars, and flavoring just makes sense being in this cupboard.

Before Shot
This cupboard is above on the side of the pots and pans. It stores our medicine (this is the only place I can think to keep medicine centrally located for everyone to use.) tea bags, and used to house the decorating sugars, sprinkles, and flavoring.

After Shot
I like this one as well now. I used another spice rack shelf where the medicines are. It makes it so much easier to see what we have. I placed the tea bags all on one shelf and moved the coffee and oil in here from the cupboard above the stove. I am very happy so far with all of my afters.

I moved my cookie cutters from the pantry to the cupboard above the stove now. All of my other cupboards are in order already so I did not need to update or re-organize them.

Now on to my utensil drawers.

Before Shot

Next to the blue silverware container use to be completely empty, but I was tired of having difficulties with the drawer below it being too full, so I started to move some of the things to this area. I hate how unorganized it looks

After Shot

I picked up a new silverware container and I am very happy with the outcome.

Before Shot

This was so dangerous with stray knives as well as other products in this drawer.

After Shot

Another container like the one I bought for the drawer above. What a world of difference and how much safer it is now.

I have two more junk drawers that I need to tackle another day after I pick up more storage containers for those drawers. I also need to reorganize my pantry but that will wait as well after we pick up a new doors for it. One of them broke.

This has been posted to 5 Minutes for Moms.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You got so much done! I hope it stays that way, but with 8 people in the house (we had 7 at one time, now we're down to 5), it'll take some doing to keep it so neat. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's a LOT of tackles! Good job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.