Sunday, March 27, 2011

Inspired Wall Display

After I realized my husband was we were actually going to make-over our kitchen I started thinking about how I wanted to decorate it.  I loved the plates that Kelli made, her Pottery Barn Inspired Wall Display   I loved the look of her plates.  I thought that the Pottery Barn Wall was too cluttered.  I thought to myself I definitely want something like this in the kitchen.  I did not want to copy her so I kept thinking what should I have as my plates say?  Inspired by the movie Julie and Julia I chose to use Bon Appetit.   I kept looking at the part of the wall that I wanted to display it.  No way would I be able to have a plate for each letter.  This would create clutter in the area above the sink.  I then thought I would get a platter and place Bon on it and then single plates for Appetit.  I went to Wal-Mart to price plates.  I wanted to know what the new plates would cost before going to the second hand stores.  I fell in love with these plates.  They would look perfect in my new kitchen with the colors I picked out.


I had to have these plates instead of white plates.  I did not have a cricut machine but had a friend who did.  I asked her if I could borrow it to make my stencils, unfortunately she let another friend of ours borrow it to to work on her wedding.  I could have waited but I really did not want to wait, so I chose to draw it myself.  I stood in front of the wall trying to envision my plan.  I did not like the image I saw, still too many plates.  I kept staring at the wall, then I had a new vision.  I would make one Bon Appetit all on one platter and then decorate a few dinner plates.  I made my purchase within the next three days I completed the drawing portion.  I used a Black Sharpie Marker.  It worked beautifully.


I am happy with the way they turned out. My husband was impressed as well.  All I needed to do now was wait for us to complete the kitchen and then hang them on the walls.  First I had to glue a hanging device on the back of the plate.  I did not rush to do this since we were no where close to hanging.  After a month the time came for me to add the hanging hook.  I went to Michael's and found what I needed and purchased Epoxy Glue as well.  I measured the back of my plates and found the center and glued the hook to each plate/platter.


I then waited another 3 weeks before the time came.  The time for me to be able to see them on my walls.  Friday night we completed the make-over.  I am happy with the way they look but I think I need one more.  They are a perfect accent to the blank walls above the cabinets.




 

I am very happy with the way they turned out and so is my husband.  Thank you Kelli for inspiring me.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. You drew the tea pot etc with a sharpie? For schnizzle Jolene those look AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so creative! And they look so good in your kitchen! You're very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They turned out so cute! I can't believe you drew all of that with a sharpie!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals