Wednesday, April 13, 2011

How To Succeed in Business Without Really Trying


Iowa City, City High School’s Spring Musical this year was How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying. Joshua after a few practices expressed that this was going to be better then any musical he has participated in. I thought to myself no way could this beat last year’s The Wizard of Oz. It was the best high school production I have ever seen. The special effects still floor me with the level of the show. I asked if they were going to have outstanding special effects again, he answered not really. Well I thought, then how can it be better? I mean we are talking about The Wizard of Oz a classic and they did an outstanding job. Seriously better? I have never even heard of this musical.

I did some research on this musical after the production curious why I have never heard of it before, not that I am an expert at musicals but I was curious as to why it was never mentioned for awards. I think it had to do with the fact it did win awards but before I was born. This show won 7 Tony Awards in 1961 and Pulitzer Prize for Drama in 1962. 1995 there was a remake as well as 50th Anniversary re-opening last month.

              Joshua is in front on the far left.
Joshua was right yet wrong. You just can not compare this to a classic that I grew up with. I love The Wizard of Oz, maybe I am just bias and the special effects were outstanding and I still consider this the best high school production I have ever been too. Yet this year’s musical was actually a great musical. I could even say it was one of the best. The dance choreography was superb, the stage was outstanding. It looked like it had elevators that worked. The songs were great and comical. This musical had a lot of humor in it and I enjoyed it thoroughly. Joshua was part of the chorus as well as had an important character in the last act. He was Mr. Wallie Womper and he had a thick dialect. Once again City High did an outstanding job. I will miss going to see the productions that my children participate in high school, with this being Joshua’s senior year. I will not miss the hectic schedule the rehearsals created. Ethan and Noah have never shown any interest in drama like Joshua has.



                                                                          
 Here Joshua is in the middle.  
The employees are standing line for coffee 

Here the employees just found out there isn't any more coffee.
I loved this number, how they shook from frustration of no coffee.

This picture is during one of Joshua's favorite songs and dance.
They are singing about how the secretaries are not toys.
A nice shot of the upper stage they created.
Joshua was Mr. Wallie Womper gray haired man with a moustache.
Right after his solo part of this song.
Mr Wallie Womper married the sexy bimbo secretary.
When she spoke and smiled I swear she looked like Cyndi Lauper.

Below is a little recording of one of the dance numbers.  I missed Joshua's solo part of this song.


Great Job City High.  Congratulations Joshua and what a wonderful way to end your high school drama!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.