Friday, July 22, 2011

Friday Confessional

Photobucket
 

It's that time of week for Friday Confessional. Please join Mamarazzi  for confession!



I confess...

I think it is harder to raise children between the ages 18-23 years.  (We don't have any older then 23 yet.)  They are at the age that "I'm an adult now!" yet are so naive about the real world.

I confess...

With the economy the way it is, it may be harder for children in that age bracket to find a job.  However, tomorrow will never be today, so get out there and apply. 

I confess...

Television and movies make children think that once they are an adult everything is easier for them.  For some reason the parents in these shows all must have a lot of money since they can provide such nice brand new cars for their child as well.  That is not the real world, or the real world with 6 children.

I confess...

I must have been naive.  I thought that once they graduated things would be easier on the parent.  I never once realized the fears are stronger then when they were two and learning to walk, not touch anything hot, or hold my hand while crossing the street or in a parking lot.  When your child is in the young adult age, they can experience a different way of danger.  I mean, they have the pressure of college.  The cost alone for college is scary.  If they did not graduate from high school, the jobs are so limited.  She is finding it is hard to be able to pay for an apartment and car payment, let alone have enough money to fill the car up.  Thinking that being a single parent will be fine.  She never thought it was going to be easy but she thought it would all work out.  Work out without planning really.  Thinking that you can find a job over the Summer without really applying.  What is he thinking?  Not being able to register for class because you need to pay $3,000 for last semester still.  Hit the beat and find that job!

I confess...

It does not help living in Iowa City, with the University of Iowa being listed in the top 10 for partying.   They do know how to party.  I hate watching them get drunk just about every night during this time frame.  It usually last for about a 9 month time frame and then they grow up and realize every night is not good.  However we have one stuck there.

I confess...

The 18 year old is the worse.  How can someone go through $2,000 and have nothing to show but two game handles, a card game, and a new tattoo that you received in bad timing because now you can not do anything in the water park when we go on vacation.  This money was suppose to go towards a car and college books, BUT he is an adult and knows what his life is about, not me the parent.  To take off without saying where you are going and how long you will be gone.

I confess...

I am sure I did the same thing to my mother in some ways.  I mean to get married my Senior year in college and his Junior year.  Pretty stupid thinking back to it now.  What were we thinking?  No wonder we struggled so much.  For my Mother's sake it probably was pretty stupid of us to plan to have our first child prior to my then husband graduating from college.  Yes, it may have been, but our circumstances were different.  If I had to re-live that time, I would still do the same thing.  It was for my father-in-law.  He was sick with this family disease.  He was hinting for a grandchild and feared he would not be able to interact with one while he was somewhat healthy enough to do so.  I would go through any type of struggle to provide that for him.  He was a wonderful man.

I confess...

I am not done yet either.  Two more will put us through hell during this age bracket.  Plus side, sometimes you can (and a lot of times for some of the children in this age bracket.) you can have a closeness that you never experienced while they were younger.  They develop the knowledge that their parent is not as stupid as they once thought they were.  They become truly appreciative and not as much entitled.  Sadly if they have a parent that does very little for them, they see that parent for what they really are too at this age.  Plus side... sometimes they even apologize for their actions.

I confess...

Though they put us through hell, and hell we feel by worrying about them and sometimes hurting us financially to bail them out, we love them just as much as the first day our eyes were able to gaze upon this beautiful child.

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. I'm 26 and I still need my mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Visiting from Dandelion Wishes.

    I confess reading your blog was rather sobering today. My littles are still little (5 and 2) and I constantly worry about them. I hoped it would get better/easier as they got older, but this was a little wake up call. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Let's just hope they take after their dad because I caused a lot of heartache and grief to my parents for many, many years - especially after I left the next. *sigh*

    I'm (almost) 35 and STILL need my parents. Now more than ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree, I have five between 18 and 25. The oldest is finally as responsible as I wish, the youngest may never be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't been there yet. I'm still in the don't touch that it's hot, or hold my hand in the parking lot stage...or don't hit your sister.
    I'm not in any rush to get there either. There is no telling what the world will be like when they get there!
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my step-daughter turned 18, it was horrible. I cannot live under the same roof as her. And until her dad came to his senses, I was going to divorce him. The other step daughter is 18 now. I think she has her head on her shoulders a little better. No. A lot. She still asks before she goes out. I've got my twins reaching that age in 3 short years. We need to pray for each other.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.