Saturday, August 13, 2011

Book Art in Johnson County

One of my facebook friends posted it is National Book Week.  I had to look into this to be for sure.  After researching, I have found there are several National Book Weeks to promote literacy. I like this concept.  I think reading an actual book is becoming a lost art.  I see so many people with electronic books now, although technology has it's purpose, I still feel an actual book is the way to go for me.

Iowa City has new statues that stand over 5 feet tall are scattered through out the city and a couple of suburbs.  They were created to celebrate reading, writing, and art book in the county. They did this once before back in 2004, a few are still standing.  In 2004 it was the "Parade of Herky" statues.    Here are a couple pictures of "Parade of Herky"


For those who do not know, Herky is the University of Iowa's mascot. I wanted to take pictures of these when I first moved here but I had no idea where they were located and some missing.  My goal was to take a picture of the new statues that are on display between June 2-October 2011.  Since it is one of the National Book Week I thought this would be the best time to post my blog about them.

These statues are known as "Book Art in Johnson County".  Iowa City has a total of 18, Coralville has 7, and North Liberty has 2.  

Enjoy!

Iowa City

A Book is a Present

Friendship
 
Moby Dick
Moby Dick was the People's Choice Winner.
House
Desire Deflies Reason

I loved how the public could write the story. 
Someone drew a cabbage.  I loved it!
Train to Nowhere
Treasure Island

My Second Favorite is Treasure Island
Clifford the Big Red Dog
I love how the page opens in this book.
The Count of Monte Cristo

Stieg Larson Trilogy

Once Upon a Time
Alice in Wonderland

This is my favorite book...Alice In Wonderland
Flying
The Pen is Mightier Than the Sword

The Forever War

The World According to Gable
47 Things
Daze_Past_Future_Tense@ICPL

Coralville
From Page to Pathway
Home
Liberty Life in Iowa City
All the World's a Stage
Writing Out Loud
Windows & Worlds
Mind Matters


North Liberty
Tarzan of the Apes
North Liberty: Inside and Out
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.