Monday, August 8, 2011

The House on The Rocks~Journal 10 The Galleries & The Doll Carousel

All pictures are from our vacation.

Tour One~Section Three

The Galleries

The Galleries were first of several galleries opened in 1987.  One gallery is of weapons are housed as well as the one artificial leg.   It houses his gun collections and antiques.  I never took any pictures of this as well.  He had all types of guns and in the midst was one wooden leg.  I felt that was a little odd myself.Oriental artifacts is another gallery, exquisite oriental carvings can be found in this gallery.  I was in awe of the carving done in tusk, picture below.  It was absolutely stunning.  An Armour gallery can be located in here.  They represent battles through out the past, from King Arthur's time to Samurai's crossing the Alps.  All of the Armour within this gallery was made specifically for the House on The Rock.  The last gallery is of Royal Crowns.  This is one gallery I failed to take any pictures of.







The Circus Building

The Circus Building was opened in 1987 as well.  It houses several miniature circuses, very similar to the doll house how everything is so detailed and scaled down to size.  Located in this section are two musical machine with mannequins a 40 piece Marching Band that is accompanied with an 80 piece orchestra.  These machines were produced  in the 1920's and 1950's.









The Doll House Carousel

Opened to the public in 1982. This room houses two doll carousels and displays hundreds of porcelain and bisque dolls.  In this room you can see a 52 foot cannon as well.




 *Edit*  Post note:  This tour does definitely have a lot of walking, but they have benches placed through out where one can rest if need be.  I have bad knees and I was surprised I was able to make it even with stairs to climb.  All stairs had handles that I could hold on to assist me up or down.  There are two restaurants within the tour as well.  This is well needed if you do all 3 tours the same day because it takes close to or over 5 hours to finish the entire tour.  One can break the tours down and go different days to see each section if you wish.  The house is not well air conditioned, so I would recommend not going on a very humid day.  They do have fans as well placed through out but by the time we were in the 3rd section we were sort of rushing it because we were tired and hot. 

I enjoy this a lot but did not appreciate it as much when I was younger, like in 3rd grade.  My husband made the comment while walking through the house that it made him feel as if we were in some sort of haunted house/weird fun house.  It is dark and musty smelling but I thought it was fine.  I feel this is definitely a must for any older child or adult to see at least once.  I plan to go back, matter of a fact we are going to see the Christmas tour this Winter.  I am anxious to see the over 600 Santa they place all throughout and I can not wait to see the Infinity Room.

JOURNAL 1~THE ORIENTAL GARDENS
JOURNAL 2~THE HISTORY CENTER 
JOURNAL 3~THE GREAT HOUSE & THE ORIGINAL HOUSE
JOURNAL 4~THE INFINITY ROOM 
JOURNAL 5~THE MILL HOUSE & STREETS OF YESTERDAY 
JOURNAL 6`THE HERITAGE OF THE SEA
JOURNAL 7~TRIBUTE TO NOSTALGIA & MUSIC OF YESTERDAY
JOURNAL 8~SPIRIT OF AVIATION & THE CAROUSEL 
JOURNAL 9~THE CAROUSEL, THE ORGAN ROOM, THE DOLL HOUSE ROOM
JOURNAL 10~THE GALLERIES & THE DOLL CAROUSEL

Photobucket

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.