Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Apple Butter

This year I tried something new...Apple Butter.
My cousin's wife uses her grandmother's recipe and I tried it out.
One word... DELICIOUS!
This will be my recipe from now on.
We love it!
I plan to put a jar in baskets for Christmas gifts.  
I cannot wait for my baskets this year.
Here is the recipe.

Ingredients

30 medium apples (3 lbs)
1 gallon of apple cider
1 cup vinegar
8 cups sugar
4 teaspoons cinnamon
Red hots, to taste,  I used 2 containers so it ended up 8 oz

Directions

  1. Prepare apples by washing, coring and quartering. 
 
     2.  Cook on stove top in apple cider (if more liquid is needed add some water)  for approximately 30-45 minutes, or until soft. 
 

     3.  Spoon out the apples and process through a food mill to remove any seeds and skin.   (I do not have a food mill, so I removed the skin and put the apples in my blender and pureed the apples)
     4.  Place apples and remaining ingredients in large pot.

 

     5.  cook until mixture remains in a smooth mass when a little is cooled, this should take approximately 1-1/2 hours. Stir frequently.  (I found this is a little messy and you will need to clean your stove after this process.)



     6.  Remove from heat and pour into pint jars and seal. Makes around 8 pints or in my case 16 half pints.
     7.  If you want to store some of your jars in the pantry for a later date, you will need to complete the canning process.  You will need to prepare your canning materials as you would any other time you can. Wash the jars and sanitize them.  While the jars are still warm, you will want to pour your apple butter into the jars.
     8.  Process in a water bath for 15 minutes.  A water bath is having a large pot adding enough water in the pot that is 2 inches higher then the jars.  Once the water is at a good boil add the jar with your product, sealed.  You want about an inch of space between your jars, do not allow them to touch.
    9.  After the processing time, carefully remove your cars and place them on a clean towel on your counter.  Do not move them for nearly 12 hours.  After 12 hours, test the middle of your jar.  If you do not have a popping noise when you push the center, this is one indication your seal is good.  Next you will need to twist the band and gently lift the seal. If the lid does not come up, then your water bath treatment was successful.  Apple Butter will keep up to 12 months in your pantry.  If you find your water bath was unsuccessful, repeat the water bath treatment once more.  You can do this as long as it has been less then 24hours.



I find canning rewarding...It's a good thing!

This post will be linked to 5 Minutes for Moms as well inside my recipe tab.

Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. I also find canning extremely rewarding! With a little effort, you can have something AWESOME and save some money too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! I grew up with apple butter, but it was always store bought. I'm guessing homemade is even better. I'll have to try it as soon as I get motivated to can again. I've been lazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...