Friday, May 18, 2012

Gardening 101~ Raised Garden Beds


 

Hi There!
I wanted to talk about raised beds or also known as boxed bed with this post.

Our house was built where a marsh was at one time, which is one reason why we do not have a basement. The soil really is not the best for growing vegetables and some other plants because it has a lot of clay in it.  It is because of this clay soil we decided to build an above the ground garden.   My husband picked up railroad ties for the frame of our box garden. Currently it is 16' x 24', that means it is two railroad ties wide and three railroad ties long.  We then brought in top soil and filled the frame of our garden; added fencing around it to keep the critters out.

Last year's garden right after planting.

We used the same technique for the butterfly garden.  This time we used yard landscaping timber instead of the railroad ties.  It is a small garden 4' x 8' but it is plenty big enough for me.  I plan to plant bushes on both sides of the flower bed.  My Mother's Day Lilac bush will be the first to be planted. 

 We filled the base of it with compost from our own compost bin
and topped it with bags of top soil we purchased. 
 The flowers for my butterfly/humming bird garden were flowers the local grocery store gave away because they were nearly dead.  
9 of the plants survived and I just purchased 5 more to add this weekend.

Here are two gardens showing everyone just because you do not have the correct type of soil to grow vegetables or a flower bed, you can always build a raised garden bed and grow as much as your little heart desires.  I can not wait to show pictures of this year's gardens.  All of the flowers in the butterfly/humming bird garden all bloomed early or late spring.  My new flowers will be blooming during the summer and fall.
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. see i want hubby to do this for our son so he can grow a garden

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s nearly impossible to find knowledgeable people on this
    subject, however, you sound like you know what you’re
    talking about! Thanks

    Also visit my blog: gardening

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can I just say what a comfoгt to discover ѕomeone who gеnuinely knows ωhat theу're talking about on the net. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. A lot more people must read this and understand this side of your story. It's surprising you aren't more popular because you surely have the gift.

    Have a look at my weblog - organic potting soil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.