Friday, October 5, 2012

Banned Books Week


ALA-freadom-slide-780

Did you know it was Banned Books Week?  Ricki Jill from Art@Home is participating and asked for others.  I thought what a great idea.  We were all suppose to chose a book that has or has been in jeopardy of being banned and read it this week.  I had a hard time chosing, but it came down to what did we have at home because I could not get to the library in time.



I chose to re-read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by JK Rowling.  The first time I heard of this book, my oldest was in third grade.  His teacher was reading it to the class.  I was very concerned about this book because it had been hitting the media how schools were trying to ban it.  I would not say I was upset just concerned because I remember reading years prior about how people were banning The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe.  Everything people were saying about this book was inaccurate.  Keeping this in mind, I spoke to Matthew's third grade teacher and walked away with a sense once again people are making issues out of nothing.  I ended up buying this book for Matthew and reading it myself when he was done.

I enjoyed the book this time around just as much as I did the first time and still feel the same way; how people can ban books as such or attempt to.  What century are we living in?  I never found any reasons why someone would believe that this book is trying to teach children witchery.  Yes, they are witches and sorcerers but seriously, this is fantasy.

This book is about a child whose parents died when he was a baby and he had to live with his aunt.  He was different from his aunt, uncle and cousin.  They treated him horrible.  Shortly after his 11th birthday, he receives a special invite to a special school, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  He leaves behind the muggle world (non-magic) to go to school.  It is a very different world than what he was accustomed to.  He enters a world he is very interested in and learns how his parents were killed and why he has a scar in the shape of a lightening bolt on his forehead.  He makes friends here and fits in, of course he has an enemy, Malfoy and a professor who is very hard on him.  This book is basically good vs evil and how children feel awkward not fitting and and finding their way.  It is the first of seven books.  J.K. Rowling does a wonderful job describing scenes and characters.  I much preferred the books over the movie.  My favorite character is Hagrid.  He is such a delightful character, he made me laugh and feel he was a giant kid at times.

It is so sad that people feel the need to ban books.  This and many other books on the list or jeopardize at one time I have read.  I still do not get why people think there is such a need.

I am linky this up to Ricki Jill's little party at her place.  Please feel free to check her site out and read about other books on the list.

Untitled

2 comments:

  1. I hadn't read this until last year. I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. This first book reminded me of Roald Dahl's style. *Visiting from Ricki Jill's Literary Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D I love this series. Ironically, I did encourage my daughter to read the Narnia series before reading Harry Potter because I knew that once she started reading the Harry Potter series, she would not be able to put the books down!!! She loved both series, by the way, and I am thinking about re-reading Narnia this winter.

    Thanks so much for linking-up, Jolene!!!

    xo,
    Ricki Jill

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals