Friday, May 24, 2013

Literary Friday


 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg

Ricki Jill from Art @ Home host Literary Friday.  Come check her out!

Shackover.jpg 

This book took me longer than it should have to complete.  I kept getting mad every time I had to put it down.  I started to read it when I started my new job.  Due to all the training and studying, I could only pick it up at lunch time or during breaks while others finished their test.  It was a great book and I want everyone I know reading this book.  I just loved it!  I can see why it has won some awards and it was the #1 paperback trade fiction seller on the New York Times best sellers list from June 2008 to early 2010. 

The Shack by William P. Young is a Christian novel.  It is a book about a father, Mackenzie Philips (Mack) who is having difficulties overcoming the death of his daughter.  Four years prior Mack took three of his five children camping.  He had to leave his youngest daughter to the need of his other two children.  The canoe they were in tipped and his son was drowning.  After the emotions and concerns regarding his two in the lake he realizes his youngest was left behind at the camp site and she is missing.  A serial killer stole her and killed her, unfortunately Mack and his wife Nan never had the proper good-bye for their sweet little girl because the body was never recovered.  Mack could not understand why God let this happen.  He also blamed his self.  At the beginning of the book Mack receives a note in his mailbox telling him to meet him at the Shack and it is signed by Papa.  Papa is what Nan calls God.  The shack is the place where his little girls bloody torn dress was found.  Mack ends up going to the shack alone and leaves with so many answers and his life being altered once again.  Was it God who sent the note?  Was it Nan trying to save him?  Or could it be the Little Lady Bug serial killer?  I don't want to say too much because the author has requested his readers not too give too much away. 

This book is definitely worth owning.  I have it both paperback and on my Nook. 


Untitled

3 comments:

  1. Always nice to see a thriller done well, especially when it touches on the questions left behind when one doesn't get closure. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this book. Our book club read it a couple of years ago. At first, it was hard for me to picture the Holy Spirit as an older African American woman, but then she really grew on me! I appreciate your linking-up to Literary Friday! :D

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. In some ways, I thought this book was unusual, but I definitely enjoyed it. Overall, I felt comforted when I finished it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.