Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Happy List Plus A Recipe

 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg

It is time for our HAPPY LIST party hosted by Ricki Jill over at ART @ HOME.  Go on over and check out all the happiness.

Here is this week’s HAPPY LIST!!!


Oh my flowers make me so HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!  Look at my day lily garden!  Most are blooming now.  Tis' the season for my Day Lilies to bloom!
 

 Chicago Picatee Lace Day Lily
 Happy Returns Day Lily
 Prairie Blue Eyes Day Lily
 Little Business Day Lily
In Celebration of Life Day Lily

Oh My Goodness!  This Asiatic, it is the first time I have seen it's bloom.  I planted it in 2010 but the rabbits eat it every year.  This year we put up a fence and netting to keep them out.  I am so HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY.  I think it is a beautiful one.  I am posting a couple of shots of it, one with direct sunlight the other I am shadowing it more. This one surprised me.  I thought the were all different shade of pink or white.  This one is yellow and deep burgundy. My pictures are not doing justice to this flower, not one bit!
 Strawberries and Cream Asiatic Lily.

I have two day lilies planted in the front.  Joylene bloomed, too bad Tiny Todd's bloom is gone
Joylene Day Lily (my favorite of my day lilies)
Having flowers with Todd's and close enough to my name makes me HAPPY!

It is not just the flower gardens making me HAPPY but we are harvesting from our vegetable gardens too.
Kohlrabi, Squash, and our 3rd round of Broccoli.

This is our first year planting kohlrabi.  We went to the Farmer's Market on Saturday.  Our Kohlrabi is a lot larger than theirs.  While we were there at the market we picked up Zucchini, Sweet Red Pepper, and a few ripe Tomatoes.  I also picked up this little bunch of flowers.  It just made me so HAPPY!

Not all of my HAPPINESS has to do with gardens.  We picked up Taj Monday night.  I had my camera in hand when the boys were singing.  If this does not make anyone happy then I am not sure what will.  Taj actually sings along towards the end.  I just LOVE listening to the three of them and watching Taj as he sings.  HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

The vegetables we picked from our garden and the zucchini and peppers we picked up from the Farmer's Market I made stir fry.
Ingredients:
  • Flank steak strips cut thinly for stir fry.
  • Kohlrabi pealed, sliced and quartered
  • Yellow Squash sliced and quartered
  • Zucchini sliced and quartered
  • Red Pepper diced.
  • Broccoli cut to small pieces
  • 2 T of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Stir Fry Sauce Ingredients:
  • 2/3 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup chicken broth
  • 1/3 cup rice wine
  • 3 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
  • 2 tablespoons cooking oil
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced ginger
  • 2 tablespoons cornstarch
  • 1/4 cup water
Directions
      1.  Make the Stir Fry Sauce:
  • In a bowl, combine soy sauce, broth, rice wine, sugar, sesame oil and white pepper. 
  • Dissolve the cornstarch in 1/4 cup water.
  • Heat a pan over high heat; add the cooking oil, swirling to coat; add the garlic and ginger; cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
  • Add the soy sauce mixture; bring to a boil.
  • Reduce heat to medium and cook for 1 minute.
  • Add the cornstarch solution and cook, stirring, until the sauce boils and thickens.
      2.  Place your stir fry beef strips and place in all but 2 T of the Stir Fry Sauce. 
           Let marinade for close to  5 minutes then place into hot pan and cook.
      3. Clean vegetables and cut while the beef is cooking.
 

      4. Once the beef has been cooked remove from pan and place in bowl.
 
      5. Add the Extra Virgin Olive Oil to the pan and then the Broccoli and Kohlrabi for nearly 3 minutes.
          Stirring often.
 
 I love the vibrant colors in the pan!
       6. Add the remaining veggies and cook for another 2-3 minutes stirring frequently.
 
      7. Next add the meat back into the pan and the 2 T of Stir Fry Sauce and stir.  
  
I typically serve with white rice.
   
What do you have to be HAPPY about this week? 
Untitled

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love that Asiatic lilly! The darker-colored ones always look so exotic and rare to me. Yay!
    Also, what do you use kohlrabi in? I've seen it for sale, but never grown it, because I have no idea what you do with it, or what it tastes like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love day lilies! :D My art teacher's husband grows them and (cultivates?) them. He sometimes brings them into the studio and sells them to folks. I agree with Beth....the dark ones are so neat. I like the last one, too!

    Your stir fry looks so good, and I want to try it. Thanks for posting the recipe!

    OMG.....Taj is so cute, and your boys are such good sports and are so good with him! :D I bet you could have the worse day on the planet and walk in and see him and forget everything!

    Thanks for being so loyal to My Happy List. I appreciate our bloggy friendship so much! I know that thinking about it this week has helped after my rant last Friday. :/

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! So much food on the Happy Lists this week! Your lilies are beautiful! Vegetables look great too! I'm thinking we're starting a garden next year. It's such a great thing to have and to teach my kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those day lilies are so beautiful. Ours have already past their blooming, but you make me want to plant more. They really do make you smile don't they?!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals