Friday, July 19, 2013

Literary Friday ~ CURSES! A F***ed-Up Fairy Tale


I am participating with Ricki Jill's from Art @ Home , weekly party  Literary Friday. You should go over to her blog and check out all of the other book reviews.



One book I completed this week was CURSES! A F***ed-Up Fairy Tale by J.A. Kazimer.  I have to admit I have a twisted since of humor but I do not even know where to begin with this book.  I had a very hard time reading it.  I thought I was getting a funny book with a grown up version of fairytale with some twisted humor.  This book was definitely not that.  It is definitely one warped fairytale. The story begins with a blue bird killing Cinderella, so we think.  The author has thrown every fairytale character and just about every children's classic character all plopped into one book.  The characters are definitely twisted, some I even enjoyed.  Little Miss Muffet is the villain boss for one.  What happens to Humpty Dumpty I thought was twisted but funny.  The main character is RJ who is Rumple Stiltskin’s son.  He is a villain who was been cursed by the villain union to do nice things until the curse is lifted.  Asia, Cinderella's not so ugly step sister has mistaken RJ as a famous detective. She hires RJ to solve the murder of her step-sister.

I’m no hero. In fact, up until a couple of days ago, I was the villain. Kidnapped maidens, scared kids, stole magic tchotchkes—until I got into a little scrape with the union. Now I’m cursed with the worst fate in New Never City—no matter what I do, I gotta be nice.

So when a head-case princess named Asia barges into my apartment and asks me to find out who whacked her stepsister, Cinderella, I have no choice but to help her. And I’m more than willing to head back to her parents’ castle and do some investigating if it means I can get into her black leather cat suit. Except this twisted sister has a family nutty enough to send the Biggest Baddest Wolf running for the hills—and a freaky little curse of her own...



This book is the adventurous and RJ's life is even threatened.  There are some funny references but more vulgar reference than funny in my opinion.  I did enjoy the weird romance between RJ and Asia.  I do not want to give too much away just in case you want to read it.  The title is very appropriate for this book.  I do not want to say I hated this book, it was okay, but I was disappointed by how much vulgar there was in the book. I think if there were less than I would have liked it a lot more. 
 


Untitled

4 comments:

  1. You actually make it sound very interesting! I might just have to check it out. I wonder if the library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm putting this on my Want to Read list on Goodreads right now! This looks like lots of fun!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iiiinteresting. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals