Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Happy List

  photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg

It is time for our HAPPY LIST party hosted by Ricki Jill over at ART @ HOME.  Go on over and check out all the happiness.

Here is my HAPPY List this week:

I had a SUPER WEEKEND!  It definitely ranks up to the top five in a long time.  Friday night after work I met up with a dear friend from my old job.  The two of us try to meet up every month.  Typically it is dinner or a lunch, this time I found a new place in our area where you go and have a glass of wine and paint.  It was so much fun. I will post about it tomorrow.  Here are a couple of sneak peek shots.
\
Being with Anne makes me so HAPPY.  The day before our get together she had her six month check up and she is officially 3 years cancer free now.  HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!!!

Saturday we had a friend come over for dinner.  She used to work with Todd prior to Johnson County and City dispatchers joined as one.
 
I picked up some fresh flowers at the market.  I wanted to have candles on the table, so I also picked up a couple of glass candlestick at the Dollar Tree and sprayed painted them white earlier in the day to go with the pineapple vase I spray painted a little while ago.  They look great with one another.  We had a great dinner.  A healthy dinner at that.  Todd grilled New York Strips for everyone.  I cooked Fresh Iowa Sweet Corn.  I add two tablespoons of milk to the water while I boil my corn as well as a dash of salt.  This is the way my great grandmother used to make it.  I always get compliments on my sweet corn.  

We also had Vegetable Tian
 Recipe posted below.
and a Tomato & Mozzarella salad.
 Recipe posted later this week.
I baked the Diabetic Two Ingredient Cake.  You can find the recipe here.
It is not a pretty cake and the first time I used an Angel Food Cake pan.  I recommend baking this cake in a glass pan only.  If you bake it in a non-stick pan or metal pan, I found out the hard way, it will collapse.  Collapsing it did.  We all had a good laugh at it, however it was still just as delicious.  You do not even have to frost this type of cake but if you wanted too, sugar free cool whip would be nice.

After dinner Ethan came home and we all five (Noah was at our dinner as well) played Phase 10.  We had a lot of fun.  Having a great friend over for the evening and being able to cook a great healthy meal for makes me HAPPY!  Knowing I did a great job planning, with dessert they both (we just found out she is diabetic too now.) had the required 4 grams of carbohydrates for dinner.  This makes me HAPPY too, taking care of people I care about.

Sunday was a very relaxing day for me.  I went out only to take Ethan to his girlfriends.  I relaxed around the house and did nothing but play on the computer, read my book, did a little crafting.  I am working on some baskets for a fundraiser.
 
 Watch for a tutorial this week.
Very enjoyable weekend which made me so HAPPY!!  What are you HAPPY about this week?

Vegetable Tian

Ingredients:

  • 1 Medium Potato
  • 1 Medium Yellow Squash
  • 1 Medium Zucchini
  • 1 Medium Tomato
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 of a Medium Onion
  • 2 tablespoon of minced garlic
  • 2 tablespoons shredded Mexican Cheese blend
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 tablespoons of shredded Parmesan Cheese
 Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic. Saute both in a skillet with olive oil until softened (about five minutes).

2. While the onion and garlic are sauteing, thinly slice the rest of the vegetables.
 3. Spray the inside of an 8×8 square or round baking dish with non-stick spray. Spread the softened onion and garlic in the bottom of the dish.
 
4.  Place the thinly sliced vegetables in the baking dish vertically, in an alternating pattern. Sprinkle generously with salt, pepper.
5. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, top with cheese and bake for another 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is golden brown.
*Note:  You may want to microwave your sliced potatoes for a minute.  Mine were a little undercooked but the rest of the vegetables were perfect!

Untitled

5 comments:

  1. Everything looks SO GOOD!!!! I want to try to make the vegetable tian. that looks YUMMY! glad you are having a GREAT week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks delicious, and sounds like a wonderful weekend!
    I'm working on fundraising items, too, so I look forward to your tutorial. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for healthy dinners. Yours looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's so nice to be in touch with old friends - from both you and you husband's former jobs. I love to go to a friends house when they cook. Eating out is fun, but being invited to dinner is way better! You just went and spray painted a candle holder - you are a superwoman. Another great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your art is so much fun! I go to those classes every once in a while....it's good for you! I hope you frame your art soon and hang it in your house to remind you of a fun night. I framed one of mine in a ridiculously over the top frame because it makes me smile remembering a fun night!

    Great list, my friend. And I can't wait to try the Vegetable Tian! YUMMY!!!!

    I want to see your tutorial....such a pretty vase!

    Thanks for linking-up and being such a great friend.

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals