Monday, January 27, 2014

A Casserole or Not A Casserole...That Is The Question!


 As many people, I love Pinterest, so many ideas...so many inspirations...and so many recipes.  I am always searching for new healthy recipes sometimes something on an old classic.  I came across a recipe for a Keto Reuben Casserole.  It was very low carbs and I was super excited to try it.  If it is as good as I was hoping then it would be definitely our St. Patrick's Day meal.  I made sure we had all the ingredients for Saturday's dinner.  As it was baking, I read on {click here for origin of recipe}, oh a lesson I have learned I will definitely read everything from now on.  Within this post, there were mentions of how it could be used as a dip, then further on the comments of others one mentioned it was not a casserole to them but a dip.  Our conclusion:  NOT a casserole!  We believe it would be a great sandwich however.  The Caraway Seeds give the Rye Bread taste, so it would be great on low carb/calorie bread or flat bread or rounds.  It is a great dip too.  We tried it with pita chips and even tortilla chips.  I think cauliflower might be good to dip with it as well as celery or carrots.



Ingredients:
  • 1/2 pound corned beef diced
  • 1 can sauerkraut drained
  • 2 cups Swiss cheese shredded
  • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
  • 8 oz package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup low-sugar ketchup  (I used the ketchup we canned.)
  • 2 tablespoons pickle brine  (I used pickle juice.  The original site has an alternate to pickle brine if you do not have any.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a sauce pan, melt the cream cheese, mayonnaise and ketchup over low heat. While that is melting, slice and dice your corned beef into half inch chunks.
  3. Once the the mixture is melted, add the can of drained sauerkraut, a cup and a half of the Swiss cheese and chopped corned beef. Mix until all incorporated and the cheese is melted.
  4. Take the sauce of the heat and mix in the pickle juice if you have it. If not, add a tablespoon of salt, a teaspoon of vinegar and a pinch of garlic salt.
  5. Pour into a greased dish (I used my pie pan however it must be a shallow pie pan, I noticed my casserole...um dip was bubbling over, so I placed it on a baking sheet.) and top with remaining Swiss cheese. Garnish by sprinkling caraway seeds on.
  6. Pop in the oven for about 20 minutes until the mixture is bubbling and the cheese on top is melted.
Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals