Friday, January 3, 2014

Literary Friday

 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg

I am participating with Ricki Jill's from Art @ Home , weekly party  Literary Friday. You should go over to her blog and check out all of the other book reviews.


I love watching the cooking channels in hopes of picking up on new cooking skills or recipes and when I saw this book online to purchase as my Christmas gift from Emily, I just new this would be one of the books I would use the gift card she gave me.  I am not an expert by no means but I have been cooking since I was 13 years old.  I mean meals not baking or helping.  My sister Lisa (who was 12) and I were expected to have a complete meal prepared by the time my parents came home from work.  I never took any Home Ech classes in school.  It was never offered where I went to school, now the classes are called Consumer Education and the boys are required to take it as well as the girls. 

Eat in Not Out: The Learn-How-To-Cook Book Without the Recipes

This week's post will be a book written by Melinda Hinson Neely with many special contributors along the way.  Eat In Not Out: The Learn-How-to-Cook-Book Without the Recipes.

After I started to read this I thought this book should be read by every beginner cook.  It has so many suggestions in it.  I am definitely going to add things from this book to a little project I am working on for the children for next year's Christmas gifts.  Shortly before my second son moved out he told me he wanted me to teach him what spices he needs in order to cook.  I told him sure but I was no expert.  I shamefully have to say, it never happened.  This book goes through what one's kitchen should have as a staple from pantry, spices, to appliances.  It also has a section about learning the basics of nutrition.

This little book I purchased for my Nook and to be honest, this I feel should be one that is an e-book because you have so many bonus in it due to the Interment links hidden within the book.   Links to blogs she found useful, recipes, and helpful websites.   Only one of our six children has an electronic book and I definitely plan to purchase this book for her in the Kindle version. 

Untitled

4 comments:

  1. That does sound like a good one! I collect cookbooks and one of my boys girlfriend's does too. I'll definitely be ordering this up for her birthday! Thanks Jolene. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Remember, it's not the normal cookbook. It is more of an aid as to what you need to be a cook, techniques, as well as definitions.

      Delete
  2. I love to cook and am always looking for tips and tricks. I am going to have to pick this one up. Thanks for sharing.

    Hugs
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls need tis, and I'm sure I'd learn from it, too. Good tip about the links, so we should definitely get it for the iPad.

    I hope you're warm today! Schools are delayed tomorrow, and it's going to be bitterly cold here in Alabama….I can only imagine what it's like for y'all!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...