Monday, January 20, 2014

Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie


I love chicken pot pie and home made chicken pot pie is even better, but since Todd and I have been trying to watch carbs and become healthier we have not had it much at all.  Saturday, I really wanted some good ol' comfort food so I went searching for a low carb chicken pot pie and found it.  I changed the recipe some and will again, next time I think I will not use the green beans but add mushrooms instead.  I am definitely going to make it again.  I cannot wait!  It was perfect for that night, the warm comfort food for a stressful week and horrible work day for Todd (due to our snowstorm) and the weather.  Any way, here is the recipe.  I wish I could remember where I found it so I can give credit for the base of the recipe but I cannot.  Bon Appetite!

 Low Carb Chicken Pot Pie


Ingredients:
  • About 3 cups of shredded cook chicken breast
  • 3 carrots chopped
  • 3 celery stalks chopped
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup of frozen green beans (I used our frozen green beans from our Summer garden.)
  • 2 cups of vegetable broth, in the box.
  • 1 sheet of Pepperidge Farms Puff Pastry

Directions: 

1.  Bake your chicken breast.  I seasoned mine and placed it inside aluminum foil, then baked in the oven.  I wanted to keep the chicken juicy.  You could use rotisserie chicken if you wish.  Once the chicken is cool enough to touch, shred your chicken.
2.  Place the vegetable broth in a pot and bring it to a boil.
3.  Add a little bit of cornstarch and stir until smooth.  Keep adding until you have a thick consistency.   You want it make sure it is a little on the thick side because you will be adding moisture from the frozen peas and green beans.  Season the broth with pepper and salt to your taste.
4.  Once you have your desire consistency, add the vegetables and chicken and cook at a boil for a few minutes.

5.  Add your broth, vegetables, and chicken to your pie pan.
6.  Roll out the pastry to the size you want.  I made mine hang over and cover the dish on the sides. 
7.  Lay over the top and poke holes with a fork.
8.  Bake at 350 degrees until the pastry is done (about 25 minutes) and brown to your taste.
9.  Let the pie set for about 5 to 8 minutes prior to serving.



 Untitled

1 comment:

  1. I'm sending a link to Shanley Belle….she will absolutely love this!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...