Sunday, January 5, 2014

Sunday's Song *Plus a Recipe*


I was stumped at what song I was going to post this Sunday.  All I could think of was how cold it is outside. I just received a call from the school district, due to the deep freeze school has been canceled for tomorrow. I knew it would be and if for some odd stupid moronic reason it was not, I was going to call the boys in.  (I honestly did not think it was going to come to that.)  Seriously most of the Nation is going to be cold from this Arctic Front.  Our high is supposed to be between -10 and -14 with windshields of -40 at times.  No one has any business walking in weather like this.   Naturally, the only song that kept popping into my head was the one I chose to highlight this week.



You know what else is great on a cold day?  Reading a book or watching television while a nice warm fire is going or snuggled under warm blankets. 

Also due to how cold it is and fighting the flu, I could not resist making this low carb soup.  I have to say it was delicious, even Noah liked it.  He just picked the mushrooms out of his dish.

Chicken Rice Soup


Ingredients:
  • 3 quarts of water
  • 3 pounds of chicken breast with skin and bone
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon of Kosher Salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon of pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of poultry seasoning
  • 1 teaspoon of chicken bouillon granules
  • 3 medium carrots, chopped  
  • 2 celery ribs, chopped 
  • 3/4 cups of uncooked long brown rice
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1/2 box of mushrooms, sliced
Directions:  
  1. In a large Dutch oven. stock pot or soup kettle, place water, chicken, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is tender.
  2. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from broth. When cool enough to handle, remove meat from bones; discard skin and bones. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces. Skim fat from broth; add chicken and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables and rice are tender.  
Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts). 200 calories, and only 7.8 grams of carbs


Musical Mondays

Untitled 

3 comments:

  1. When thinking about cold weather songs this was the first one that came to kind.
    I hope things are warming for you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks GREAT :) I hope you had a great Christmas holiday dear.

    Check out my new post...Cute Swedish curtain inspiration :)

    Have a fab day

    LOVE Maria at inredningsvis - Swedish decor, food, and fashion

    ReplyDelete
  3. :D

    I remember this episode. Great choice for the cold weather we've been having! Your soup recipe sounds good, too!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.