Tuesday, January 7, 2014

The Beauty of When It Is Too Cold Out!


Last month I mentioned about Sun Dog.  Click here to read about it. It is rare to see one in Iowa and the best time to view one if it is cold enough is when the sun is low in the horizon.  Yesterday morning, I had a hunch I was going to have another chance to see one since the temperatures were supposed to be bitter cold. With this knowledge, I thought I was not going to get caught without my camera so I grabbed my small one and put it in my purse.  I was not disappointed, when I turned on to the road to work, I pulled to the side and took a picture of the sunrise.  It had a Sun Dog.

See the rainbow rings on each side of the sun?
This is not a reflection, my window was down and I was freezing.
However, it was beautiful!

Now, let me put it in perspective, as I was driving to work today, one of the radio stations mentioned that our actual temperature (not counting the wind chill) was only 5 degrees warmer than the South Pole at that time and Alaska was 24 degrees warmer than we were.  Yes, folks that is cold.  Today was the coldest it has been in 20 years.  Where I work, we get two 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch.  I decided I wanted to break my lunch up to two 15 minutes as well and every 2 hours, I went out to start my car and let it run for 5 minutes.  I am glad I did too.  A few people thought I was crazy but when they went home for the day, they had to come back in because their car batteries were dead and their cars needed jump started.  They looked at me and told me how smart I was.  {Why thank you.  My parents taught me this back when I was in High School.  Just like when it is supposed to snow a lot or freeze rain, lift up your windshield wipers.  (Yes, I was told I was smart doing that too.  I guess my folks did not raise a stupid girl.)}  I just looked at them and said, something like I am sorry and then went back to work.  Inside I was saying, "Boo Ya!  Laugh at me why don't you?!  That's right, I do have common sense, smart...eh." 

I think my boys are loving this cold weather, well they are for now.  Monday was supposed to be their first day back since Christmas break.  Now they have Monday and Tuesday off due to the bitter cold, which is good because if someone was outdoors just to walk to school they are at risk for frost bite.  However, these same darlings who are like "Yeah! *fist pump* No School!"  Will be like, "Awh, that sucks we have to go two extra days of school because it was too cold!"  *Pouting Face* in June.

Have you ever seen a Sun Dog before?

Untitled

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.