Monday, March 17, 2014

Irish Fun Fact


Here is a fun little Irish fact:

Roderic O'Connor (also known as Rory O'Connor or Old Irish would call him Ruaidhr Ua Conchubair) who was the last high king of Ireland in 1166.  That was 800 years before I was born.   He was King of Connaught and the last high king before the Norman invasion.  I always thought he was king for a day but I was wrong. He was king for 30 years.  Ireland used to be broken up into three territories; Connaught, Munster, and the North.  Roderic was the only one who did not surrender to England but eventually did and retired to the Abbey.  Recently I found this website. 

 The family crest
(source listed below)

Historic Irish Manor: Clonalis House; Ancestral House of the O'Connors and I have just begun to explore this site.  I plan on sharing it with my mother and some day I wish to visit.  Why the interest you may ask?  Well, because I am a decedent of his  He is a very great grandfather of mine.  I love how my Mom has researched her side of the family.  It took her three years to find the missing link.  My Great Uncle and Great Aunt went to Ireland to visit and she asked them to go to the Abbey and look for the records of this one O'Connor and they came back with the parent's name.  It was the last tie she needed to know we are relatives of Roderic. 




Untitled

3 comments:

  1. Very cool, my Irish Sister! :D I think Connor means wolf in Irish, and that the surname comes from being a keeper/lover of Irish Wolfhounds. My neighbor has one and he is HUGE.

    Do you have a corned beef brisket in your crockpot yet? ;P

    Happy St. Patrick's Day! I wish you'd post more about your family's history!

    I love posts like this!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's so cool and SO interesting!. Ireland is def on my list of places to visit. I want to kiss that darn blarney stone but I've read that you have to literally be hanging off the side of a cliff with someone holding your feet! Holy hell, I'd need the whole NFL tethered to me to keep me from falling but just so ya' know, that's a chance I'm willing to take! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You are suppose to hang backwards to kiss it, at least that is what my Great Aunt and Great Uncle told us. It would be a very neat thing to do.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals