Saturday, March 8, 2014

Literary Friday

 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg

I am participating with Ricki Jill's from Art @ Home , weekly party  Literary Friday. You should go over to her blog and check out all of the other book reviews.  I know it is Saturday but I am still going to link up.

I received this book from Beth from A Living Goddess Life, when I participated with my first Books n' Blogger Swap.  You can read about it here.  I loved this book. Thank you Beth!  My husband enjoyed it too.  We definitely wanted to read the book before the movie came out.  The book had the same feeling as Hunger Games.  I hope the movie does it justice as well.

Divergent (Divergent Series #1)

Divergent by Veronica Roth is the first in a three book series. The main character is Beatrice Prior and the setting is Chicago.  This world is so much different than now, their society is divided into five factions; each faction is strong with one virtue.  The is Candor (the honest virtue), Abnegation (the selfless virtue), Dauntless (the brave virtue), Amity (the peaceful virtue), and Erudite (the intelligent virtue).  Beatrice was raised as in the Abnegation faction.  Once a year, (Choosing Day) all sixteen year old must select the faction to which they will be part of the rest of their lives.  If they chose a different faction, they must leave their family and never interact with them again.  Prior to the Choosing Day the sixteen year old has to participate in an aptitude test.  The sixteen year old is hooked to a machine which helps determine the strongest virtue this younger person holds with this information it is supposed to help the teenager make the right choice for their life.  When it came time for Beatrice to take her test she knew something was wrong.  They lady who gave it to her unhooked everything and told her to never tell her results because she was Divergent and that was dangerous because no one can control Divergent people.  Her life will be in danger if anyone finds out. She was advised to chose a faction and hide within it.  Beatrice had no clue what Divergent meant and did not share it with anyone.  All she knew was she was more confused than before.  She was torn because she wanted to stay with her family but she was drawn to the Dauntless faction.  Her brother's Choosing day is the same as Beatrice due to the way their birthdays and the Choosing Day fell.  He was called first to make his decision.  Beatrice just knew he would stay but was very surprised he chose another faction, Erudite.  Beatrice watched the disappointment in her father's face.  When it came for Beatrice to chose it was difficult but she chose Dauntless which surprised everyone. 

After the Choosing Ceremony is complete each child goes with the faction they chose and have to go through initiation. Anyone who does not make it through initiation is factionless and that is not a good thing. They are outcast and do not belong any where.  During this highly competitive initiation Beatrice renames herself as Tris.  They Dauntless group must go through an extreme physical competition and very intense psychological one as well.  Only a ten will make it and those who do not will live factionless.  Tris discovers so much more about her society than she ever imagined and realizes a war is about to begin and she has to stop it or it might destroy her family as well as her. 

This book is full of adventure and has a surprising end of book one.  I cannot wait to read books two and three.



I am so excited to see the movie.  I am only hoping it is as good as the book or close to as good as the book and I am not disappointed with it. 


Untitled

1 comment:

  1. Can you believe that I knew nothing about this series before your post? I'd seen it and heard about it, but I didn't know what it was about. Gah! I think I would love it, and if Beth sent it to you, then I know it's a great book. She has excellent taste in literature!

    Thanks for linking-up! I came home after church for a few minutes to answer emails and read the Literary Friday posts before heading back out.

    I hope you've had a peaceful weekend!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...