Sunday, May 11, 2014

Sunday's Song


Today being Mother's Day, I wanted a song which fits with my Mom.  Last year I posted "Wind Beneath My Wings."   Well I am going to double up this year.  I am going to re-post this song (for the lyrics you will have to click here to last year's post), I cannot skip re-posting this song this year.  My Mom has been the wind beneath my sisters and my wings for years but the past month she has shown such strength.  Although our parents divorced when I was 16 years old, the last five years they have become good friends again and showed everyone how much they loved one another still.  My Mom lost her first love, father of her children, and someone she has always loved and cared for and was so strong and shed very little tears in front of everyone.  She went to great steps to make sure his Memorial at her house was nice.  She took care of him his last two days here on earth. I played the slide show for my sisters and my Mom and all the grandchildren before my aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandma came. This was a time for us.  She shed her tears watching and this past week she told me what a beautiful job I did with it and the memorial pamphlets. She also asked me why he could not stay the way he was in their relationship, the beginning and the ending skipping all the years in the middle?  I did not know how to answer it but shared how he told me he was very sorry for the choices he made and wished he could re-live those years all over again because he would be with his first and last love still, she was the best thing that ever happened to him and gave him the best gifts he ever had us girls.  He would not have missed out in any of our lives and his grandchildren.  With that said, my Mom is the wind beneath my wings.

My second song has a wonderful memory with my Mom as well.  Growing up my Mom had a rule we could only go to one concert while we were under the age of 18 on our own.  I was so excited when a friend of mine and I bought tickets to see Men at Work.  Three days before the concert my friend did something wrong and was grounded and could not go.  My Mom stepped up and went to the concert with me so I did not have to miss out.  It was great!  We both were standing on the chairs and dancing and singing along.  My Mom was a young Mom, there is barely 17 years between us and she has always looked young for her age.  After the concert she told me how two young boys (teenagers/early college kids) asked her, "Hey, do you and your friend want to get high?"  I laughed and asked her what did she say to them?  This was her answer, "Oh, I do not think that would be a very good example to set in front of my daughter, but thank you any way."   ha ha ha ha ha   Can you believe it?  My Mom was being hit on.   My Mom said the boys' eyes grew large and they took off.  Oh, I love you Mom!  HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY to all. 


"Down Under"

Traveling in a fried-out Kombi
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie
I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast
And she said:

"Do you come from a land down under
Where women glow and men plunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder
You better run, you better take cover."

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscle
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"
He just smiled and gave me a Vegemite sandwich
And he said:

"I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder
You better run, you better take cover."

Lying in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say
I said to the man, "Are you trying to tempt me?
Because I come from the land of plenty."
And he said:

"Oh! Do you come from a land down under (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder
You better run, you better take cover."



Untitled

1 comment:

  1. That's so funny about your Mom telling those boys off at the concert. What a great lady. I'm so glad she and your father found each other again. What a beautiful story. We all make mistakes but we are human and forgiveness is a powerful thing. Hope you had a lovely Mother's Day, Jolene. xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals