Friday, July 4, 2014

Literary Friday

 photo ArtatHomeButton_zps18898da7.jpg


I am participating with Ricki Jill's from Art @ Home , weekly party  Literary Friday. You should go over to her blog and check out all of the other book reviews.

It has been a while and I am definitely backed up on books to post about.

 Burning Girls
Burning Girls written by Veronica Schanoes is about a young Jewish girl, Debora, growing up in Poland during World War II.  She has a special talent and stays the summer with her grandmother (bubbe) to learn the ancient craft of healing/protecting as what they call it but to most would be witchcraft.  As with anything there is good and bad in both, and the world for Jewish people in Poland saw a lot of bad.  Debora's family wanted to send Debora and her sister, Shayna to America where the two girls will be safe only the girls want to stay with their family.  Debora's bubbe made a deal with a very wicked demon to guarantee safe passage of the girls to America.  The girls stumble upon this contract after the tragic death of their bubbe.  The grandmother gave rights to the girls' newborn brother to the demon.  Debora worked as hard as she could to protect not only the baby brother from the demon but the family from the evil being done against the Jewish people of that time.  She eventually was able to destroy the contract by burning it and thinks her battle with this demon is over.  Debora and her sister, Shayna the only survivors in their family after a violent spree in their home town occurred against Jewish people were able to escape and go to America.  Debora thought for sure they would never see the demon again since they left their Old Country but she was very wrong.  The girls were not safe in the New Country either and the demon was no match for poor Debora.

This book is very well written and is a mix of historical fiction, fantasy, fairytale, and witchcraft. It is a dark fantasy book.  I am still unsure how I actually felt about it.  At times I liked it and others it was way out there.  I guess the jury is still out trying to make the decision.  I think I may re-read it some time to be able to make my mind up.

Untitled

2 comments:

  1. This really sounds like a book I'd like. I like the mix of historical, fantasy, etc....But sometimes when books are way out there it can detract from the story, so I understand your mixed review.

    Thanks for linking-up, Sweetie! I love the background of your blog. It's so you!

    What are y'all doing today? I have a HOUSE FULL of company, but whenever I have a break I check blogs. ;P

    Happy Fourth!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally going to add this to my wish list! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.