Friday, April 24, 2015

Friday Confessional

I confess...

We all have heard America has a mental health crisis.  I guess I just did not truly realize what they were talking about when I heard it.  I thought maybe it was the fact so many Americans do not have health insurance BUT that is NOT what it is all about.

I confess...

A couple of weeks ago, my last confession I was in the emergency room once again with Noah.  This time he freaked out at school.  He was telling some of his friends good-bye because he was going to kill himself that night.  Others he was saying good-bye because he was going to move.  One of his friends  went to the school counselor and then that counselor went to Noah's counselor.

I confess...

It was ugly and seriously embarrassing.  He got mad at the counselor and said some cuss words telling her to stay out of his life.  He then took off and the school officer was told to follow him to make sure he will be safe while the police came.  Noah resisted and the police had to tackle him down to the ground and hand cuff him. 

I confess...

We spent the next 12 and half hours in the emergency room.  Why?  Well because there were no beds to admit him.  The state of Iowa has only 24 beds for children in the psychiatric floor.  Noah's admission ended up being in Rock Island, Illinois. 

I confess...

Hospitalization is only for accute when it comes to mental issues.  Accute, once they are not showing harmful tendencies they are discharged for the next child.  They have no room to keep a child in for more treatment other than accute.

I confess...

Oh there are places for mental issues to get help like Noah's but they are called residential and well, 99% of insurance companies do not cover residential they are excluded.

I confess...

I am at a loss as to what to do for him.  Sending Noah to his father's is not a good idea.  His Dad has child abuse founded against him on our oldest.  Noah and his father together when Noah acts up is just an accident waiting to happen.

I confess...

I am going to have to look to see if there is any way I can get the state to assist with residential.  If not then I might have to do something drastic, like sign over my parental rights to the state, this way he will get the help he needs. 

I confess...

This is weighing heavy on my mind.  I do not like the thought of signing over one of my children and giving up my parental rights but on the other hand I do not want Noah to become one of those statistical lost children who cannot function as an adult.  My heart is aching so much about this decision.

I confess...

So yeah... this is what it means about America having a mental health crisis.

Untitled

1 comment:

  1. I am so sorry. Noah has no idea how he is hurting his family right now, only that he is hurting, and he may not even know why. I hope you are able to get him help. Is there no way to "commit" him to a place with insurance covering part of it? You pretty much covered that, so I'm thinking there's not. I wish I had a solution. Keeping you all in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...