Thursday, June 18, 2015

The Good and The Bad...Plus Recipes.

The Good...

Due to Christina (a.k.a Noah) not being home right now, I have had to learn to cook differently.  I am cooking for two most of the time.  I am anxious to try new recipes. Here is a healthy dinner I made last night.  Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers.
Cheeseburger Stuffed Peppers



Ingredients:
  • Ground Turkey
  • 1/4 teaspoon of mustard
  • 2 Tablespoon of Ketchup
  • Pepper
  • Salt
  • Steak Seasoning
  • Onion Flakes (can use fresh)
  • 1 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce
  • 4 mushrooms diced
  • low fat mozzarella cheese
  • Peppers to stuff
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven at 450 degrees
  2. Crumble ground turkey in pan.  Add Onion Flakes, pepper, salt, and steak seasoning to meat while browning.
  3. Add mushrooms and worcestershire sauce to the nearly browned ground turkey.
  4. Wash and slice the tops of the peppers. 
  5. Once the ground turkey mixture is done, stuff peppers.  I placed my peppers in a pie pan.  This is enough to stuff four medium peppers.
  6. Top the mixture with a pinch of low fat mozzarella cheese. 
  7. Bake for 20 minutes

Very Healthy low carbohydrate meal. 

A snack we had on Sunday was also very healthy and a definite hit.  Frozen Yogurt Berries.  I am definitely going to do this again as well as the peppers recipe.  This frozen treat is a wonderful sweet and cold treat and still stay on the healthy road trip.  It is also a great way to use the berries which are on the verge of going bad.
Frozen Yogurt Berries

Jolene Evans's photo.

Ingredients:
  • Greek Vanilla Yogurt (We use Danon Fit we found it has the least amount of carbs.)
  • Berries (I used blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries.
Directions:
  1. Wash and dry berries.
  2. Dip the berries into the yogurt and try to have the entire berry coated with yogurt.
  3. Place on cookie sheet and then place in freezer for at least one hour.
  4. After frozen place in a baggie for snacking any time.
It is as Easy Peasy as that! We love this snack. It is as Easy Peasy as that! We love this snack. 

Christian and I text just about every day.  One day shy of one week he told me how he is missing home.  I am in hopes my boy comes back to me recognizing what he has, this will be a super bonus.  The main reason he is with his father is to help him and Ethan keep a healthy relationship.  Alone during the day was not a good idea for the two.

I am doing a great job with working out.  My body is screaming at me but I keep saying, "I know I have neglected you.  You can do this."  I think it should be listening to me soon and back off a little.

The garden is doing well in our back yard.  I still need to get out to the other.  Here are a couple of pictures of the back yard garden.
If you look closely you will see a purple bloom. 
*squeal with delight* Soon we should have our first eggplant for the season.
One of my favorite things of the garden is the beauty.
I absolutely love watching things vine up and grow.
I love the little curly q.
I find such beauty in the gardens. Don't you?

I am super excited about these buds and I am anxiously waiting for them to open.  They are my oriental lilies and I have no clue what they are at this time because I planted them 5-7 years ago and have never seen them bloom as of yet because of those pesky rabbits. They typically eat them.  This year we (Todd) added a rabbit fence and it is working out.
*another squeal with delight*  I cannot wait to see this open. 
I think it may be my Casa Blanca Oriental Lily.
It looks white.

My favorite part of the front landscaping. 
My basket container my Mom gave to me as a birthday present
nearly 15 years ago.


Today is Sir Paul McCartney's 73rd Birthday.  Happy Birthday Paul and thank you so much for all of the music you have given us.  (Sorry Paul for having a recipe on a post with meat on your birthday, sort of feels wrong but I enjoy meat as well.)

The Bad...

On my way home Friday night I was so excited the weekend was finally here.  Earlier that day I requested an earlier shift.  I did not explain all of my reasons, like wanting to spend more time with my husband since we are now working opposite shifts, but I did explain another important reason, I wanted to make Christian's (I have to get used to calling Noah by his middle name now.) therapy appointments after school, this way he misses less school.  I was told I would be added to the list, but my supervisor wanted to talk about it.  She told me she could not afford to lose me on her team because I am very good and one of her better people.  She knows I want to be in QA when the position opens and thinks I will be great at that but she would like to keep me until that day comes.  She told me she would work with me in order to be able to take Christian to his therapy appointments.  How could I refuse her?  She has been a wonderful and understanding supervisor with everything Christian has put me through while starting here.  It was during week two of my training he was hospitalized the second time and was hospitalized a total of three times in eight months of working here.  She has worked with me during all of this and his appointments, choir shows, court date, and school meetings.  How can I decline her?  Yep, I told her it would be fine and thanked her, however I did ask if I could start the 10 am to 6:30 pm when opened, this way Todd is not late on the nights we have Taj after day care.

As I was saying, I was a little disappointed with my day.  I do a lot of reflecting while I drive as well, maybe not the brightest move sometimes.  I did not notice anything different with the mall as I got onto the Interstate but after a few miles I did notice all the police cars heading the opposite way.  I believe I may have saw at least 20 police cars on the Interstate.  I thought there must have been a horrible accident, then I received a call from Todd as I was getting off the Interstate.  He wanted to know where I was and had a little bit of panic in his voice.  I told him I am now exiting the Interstate and will be on Dodge Street.  He then told me the horrible news, there was a shooting at the mall and he had to go into work to help.  I had to call our children to see where they were, none were at the mall.

The first to call it in was an officer who was walking the mall for another call, he reported 3 gun shots in the mall, two down.  It was a crazy hour but I am so impressed with how well all the agencies worked together, the accused was found an hour after the shooting and he admitted to the shooting.  I admitted it was premeditated and he meant to kill the young girl.  The shooter was fired earlier Friday as a security guard for harassing the victim who worked at the Children's Museum.  According to her cousin, she feared for her life and he had been leaving threatening notes on her car for the past six weeks.
 
How scary, one man's act has touched so many lives in such a negative way.  The two men who thought they could revive the 20 year old after she was shot three times in the back.  The shooter put a bullet in each lung, so with every compression the gentlemen did, the collapsed lung would pump out blood.  Many people fled the food court where the shooting took place.  Many teenagers hang out on a Friday night, it is near the Children's Museum and the Ice Rink as well as the Carousel.  Many people now afraid to go out.  The mall has been closed for now, only stores who have access from the outside are open.
 
I just cannot imagine the poor girl's family.  She only graduated from high school two years ago.  She was way too young to die and no one deserves to die as she did.  The shooter's facebook page has many gun rights post.  He supported the right to carry a weapon.  He left the mall after he was fired to his home to retrieve the gun and then returned.  I have never been a big fan of guns.  They have a purpose but I feel too many people have them and use them for the wrong reasons.

Again, I am proud how great the agencies worked together as well as the community.  Here is a link to the dispatch call. It is because of everyone great job working together, the shooter will be held accountable.   The dispatchers I believe are typically overlooked for what a great job they do.  Our dispatchers are getting the recognition they deserve by many agencies now for how calm and great they handled the situation.  Several states are commenting on what a fine job they did getting the information to the correct agencies.  I am proud to say my husband works there.

Untitled

2 comments:

  1. Your supervisor sounds like a decent human being. :) I just pinned your recipe to my What To Have for Dinner board on Pinterest. We loved stuffed peppers, and your recipe sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm making this this weekend (I've already bought everything) but I was wondering did you use a pound of meet or less?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals