Friday, July 17, 2015

Literary Friday ~ Brooklyn


6596768 
 
Brooklyn by Colm Toibin begins in Ireland in the 1950's.  The main character is Eilis Lacey.  Ireland is upon hard times after World War Two and she is having a hard time finding a job.  Her sister and a priest from Brooklyn arrange for Eilis to work in the United States.  The Irish priest sponsors her and aids for her to find a job, a place to live, and eventually school.  

Eilis works in a department store and tries to keep to herself at the boarding home away from the other ladies.  Eilis is lonely and misses her family so much.  Eventually, Eilis falls in love with Tony who is an Italian pretending to be Irish.  Tony introduces her to a new world here in America.

I found the book an easy read and had a very hard time getting into it at first.  The book did not actually grab my interest until I was about halfway through it.  I just felt it moved very slow in the beginning.  Nothing really bad happens at all to Eilis other than a tragic loss in her family.  She does go back to Ireland shortly after the tragic death and she has to make a decision to coming back to America to her husband or staying in Ireland.  I have to be honest, I heard so many good things about this book and read it will be made into a movie, so I wanted to read the book way in advance.  I was rather disappointed and felt there was way more hype about the book and hope the movie holds my interest more than the book did.
I am linking this up to Art@Home's linky party.  You can click on the icon below to find other book reviews or if you write book reviews you are welcome to join in on the party and add your review for others to enjoy. 

Untitled

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely late it when that happens….tons of hype and the book falls completely flat. Although I'm interested in an Italian pretending to be Irish….that would make for some interesting reading!

    Thanks so much for your support of Literary Friday. It means the world to me!

    xo,
    RJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started reading a book about Ellis Island, and I felt the same way. I just couldn't get into it. Same thing with Still Alice which is also a movie, Maybe I" will go back to them. Maybe not. I'm kind of surprised what they're turning into movies lately.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...