Monday, November 30, 2015

Gratitude

I have so much to be grateful for...

●A wonderful husband who watches over me. He makes me laugh, he is my strength, he is my best friend.
●My boys, all I know love me.  I feel lucky to have a close relationship with Matthew, Joshua, and Ethan. Maybe someday Christian will get his moods in control and develop a relationship but for now he needs to work on his self.
●My mother, she has always gone the extra mile for us.
●My father coming to me in a dream. I will always cherish it. I still feel his peace and happiness.
●I am grateful I have three sisters, although we are not close any longer, I am  lucky to have siblings.
●I am lucky to have Kera and Emily in my life.  It was a rough start at the beginning but I am happy how our relationship has blossomed.
●I am very fortunate to have the loving friends I do have.  You all mean the world to me. I have been very blessed in life to have many friends and love keeping in touch with you all.
●I am lucky to work for a good company.  The company and management actually do care.
●I am lucky to have a grandmother still living. She misses my Dad so much. I do not think she will ever be able to find peace with it. I can not believe in a week she will be 93.
●I am so lucky to have a wonderful grandson. He surely is a gift in our lives.


Our Thanksgiving was a good one. I typically make a couple of side dishes, veggie/relish tray, and the pies. This year I made the entire dinner. Due to Christian not listening I ended up cooking two turkeys, a 14 pound and a 9.5 pound.  I also cooked a ham.  Yes, a lot of meat.  We also had, mashed potatoes, dressing, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese, bourbon baked beans, and dinner rolls. We also had our pies.  We ate and enjoyed one another. We played games and no drama!

I let the kids take as much as they wanted for leftovers after we had leftovers on Thanksgiving night.  We still had a lot of turkey leftover.  We had turkey sandwiches the next day and I thought I must find something else to do with all of this turkey so I found these and modified the recipe.

TURKEY TURNOVERS 
 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups of shredded turkey
  • 1 cup of turkey broth
  • 3/4 cup of frozen mixed vegetables (defrosted)
  • 1/3 cup of flour
  • 1/3 cup butter
  • 4 scallions diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced
  • 1 cup half and half
  • 2 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 package refrigerated pie crusts
  • 1 egg white
  • 1 tablespoon milk
Directions:
  1. In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery cook 4 to 5 minutes.
  2. Sprinkle flour on top of onion mixture. Cook and stir for 1 minute.
  3. Gradually whisk in turkey broth and half-and-half.
  4. Add cream cheese, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon so that it melts and blends into the sauce. Cook until the mixture is bubbling and thickened, about 1 to 2 minutes.
  5. Stir in chicken and mixed vegetables. Remove from heat.
  6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray or use foil liner.
  7. Unroll pie crusts and use a rolling pin to roll them thinner.
  8. Use a bowl that's about 5 inches across to cut a total of 8 circles.
  9. Place filling(as much as you can and still be able to fold over the dough and seal it) on one side of a circle of dough.
  10. In a small bowl, whisk together egg white and milk. Use your finger or a small pastry brush to wet the edges of the dough with egg wash so that they will stick together. Fold dough over, pressing to seal edges. Press around edges with a fork.
  11. Repeat with remaining dough circles. Place on prepared baking sheet and brush tops with egg wash.
  12. Place in oven and bake for about 17 minutes or until golden brown.

I made additional filling and used more shredded turkey to place into ramekins and placed some extra pie crust over the top of the ramekins and baked along with the turnovers.  I crimped along the edge of the ramekin and posted a fork in the center of the crust.  I also placed the egg wash over the crust.


The next night I made Turkey Enchiladas 
Turkey Enchiladas
(source
I found the recipe on Pinterest and you can click here to find it.  It is the easiest enchilada recipe I have made and it was a hit.  I did add one ingredient it was one small can of diced green chilies.  I made two batches and it was a huge hit.

I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Many things to be thankful indeed.
    It was a great day and time and I can read it in your words. No sorrows just plain and simple happiness and thanksgiving - the best way for my Friend Jolene to go from strength to strength in loving and living her life.
    Keep it up, Dear Friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! I love anything in a hand pocket or pot pie scenario. They all look delicious! And I'm so glad the holiday went smoothly.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.

September Goals