Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Pikes Peak and Effigy Mounds ~ Iowa



After our stop in Dyersville at the Field of Dreams we continued to drive north to Pike's Peak State Park and go for a hike.  Once we arrived in the parking lot, Todd's boss called and we waited in the car for nearly 30 minutes for their conversation to end.  I was so bored I started to take selfies and had a saying for each face.  I shared with Todd after he hung up and he cracked up laughing.  He loved them.

 Above:  "Really?  You have to keep talking to him on his last day of his vacation!"
 Above:  "Will this man EVER shut up?"
 Above:  "Shut the *@&#  up so we can go on our hike!"

Finally we were able to actually leave the Rav4 and begin our exploration of Pikes Peak another State Park.
 Our selfie with the great Mississippi behind us.

There were a lot of flowers along the trails.


 Mississippi River

The trail began with a sidewalk and then became more of a boardwalk trail and many many wooden stairs.


 Above:  I love nature's beauty.
Below: The first tiny waterfall.

 We then came to the largest waterfall at the park.
While we were at this point in the park, Todd received another call from his boss.  He has no clue I took his picture.  He was smiling at me because I was making faces at him and he wrapped it up quickly this time.
 Below: The third tiny waterfall in the park.

 After Pikes Peak we then drove to Effigy Mounds National Monument.  Effigy Mounds is a sacred area associated with American Indian tribes.  The Effigy Mound Culture extends from Dubuque, Iowa, north into southeast Minnesota, across southern Wisconsin from the Mississippi to Lake Michigan, and along the Wisconsin-Illinois boarders.  The mounds are man made and are in an animal shape such as birds, bear, deer, bison to name a few.  Some mounds are in conical mounds for burial purposes and the final type built linear or long rectangular mounds that were used for ceremonial purposes that remain a mystery.  The exact reason for the mounds are still a mystery, some archaeologist believe they were built for seasonal observance or to divide tribes.  The two types of animal shaped mounds located in Iowa are bears and birds.  Unfortunately, I was not able to do much hiking here.  The hill side was too steep and rocky for me to climb after all the stairs at Pikes Peak.  We had to turn around.  Todd did not feel right going on without me.  I know he plans to go with a few of the kids without me.  I do not think I will ever be able to do the full hike, which sort of gets me down.  I am not sure once I have my knee replacements if I will be able to do this hike.  It would be wonderful to do so.  Below is a picture of three very small mounds right outside the ranger's station.




Effigy Mounds is located in Harper's Ferry which is 2 hours and 30 minutes away from Iowa City.

Pikes Peak State Park is located in McGregor which is 2 hours and 24 minutes away from Iowa City.

Untitled

2 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed your road trip posts, but this one is one of my favorites. What a pretty park! And the view of the Mississippi River is amazing. Your selfies are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've loved all of these posts and now I'm ready for the holiday posts Jolene! Get with it woman! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and showing the love. I will reply back by email unless you have a no-reply email address set up and then I will reply within the comments.